The Salina Adult Education Center is looking for people to immediately fill two adult basic education instructor positions. Instructors teach reading, writing, and math through algebra. Must be proficient in MS Office, Google Docs and be able to quickly learn new software. Ability to teach students on site and remotely and to work within a critical teaching team.
There are currently two classified positions. One is a full time position which is afternoon / evening Monday through Thursday with occasional staff meetings on Friday morning. Additionally, there is a part-time evening position Monday through Thursday also available with occasional staff meetings on Friday mornings.
INSTRUCTOR – ADULT BASIC EDUCATION / GED® / COLLEGE SKILLS REINFORCEMENT
Salina Unified School District # 305
Statement of Purpose:
The Instructor Work – Adult Basic Education / GED® is carried out with the aim of facilitating the success of adult students in their education, workplace skills and life skills through the implementation of an approved curriculum by the program; document student progress / activities / results; meet the specific educational needs of each student; and provide a safe and optimal learning environment.
This position reports to Director – Salina Adult Education Center
• Administers assessments for the purpose of assessing students’ entry level of performance, planning instruction, documenting progress and verifying completion of results. (paper / pencil and computer evaluations)
• Collaborates with school staff and various community organizations to improve the quality of student outcomes, develop solutions and plan curriculum.
• Model the methods required to complete assignments in order to provide an effective curriculum and meet the needs of each student.
• Directs students, volunteers, etc. with the aim of maximizing their efficiency, meeting requirements and providing feedback.
• Facilitates the learning of adult students by identifying, documenting and adapting specific learning problems to meet the needs of each student.
• Implements defined study programs with the goal of improving student achievement in education, workplace skills and life skills.
• Uses appropriate English communication with the goal of developing students’ ability to communicate effectively using the English language.
• Monitors student behavior with the goal of ensuring student safety and well-being, providing an optimal learning environment and adhering to district, KBOR and program policies.
• Prepares educational materials and related reports (eg, assessment notes, attendance, anecdotal records, etc.) for the purpose of implementing study plans and documenting attendance and performance. student progress.
• Protects student privacy in order to maintain program compliance with department, district and KBOR policy.
• Provides feedback and information to students and program administration with the goal of motivating students, facilitating program improvement, and documenting results for funding.
• Participates in various initiatives assigned to improve the educational and programmatic environment of students with the aim of improving Salina’s adult education program.
• Includes instruction based on content standards and demonstrates the ability to write lesson plans incorporating standards and multi-level activities for many levels of adult learning in order to meet program requirements
• Demonstrates high level technological skills, including Microsoft Office programs, e-mail functions, and learning software and platforms for the purpose of creating course content and documenting program activities.
• Fosters employment and college-oriented relationships and experiences for students to expand opportunities beyond the classroom to improve student achievement.
• Supports and understands the results-based financing system in order to secure the needs and objectives of the program.
Job requirements: skills, knowledge and abilities (minimum qualifications)
The specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job include: application of assessment tools; prepare and maintain accurate records; and the application of teaching strategies adapted to adults.
The specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the duties of the post include:
Writing: mastery of grammar, punctuation, spelling, composition
Mathematics: Proficiency in high school mathematics, including 1) operations and algebraic thinking, 2) ratio and proportional reasoning, 3) data and statistics, 4) measurement and geometry, and 5) algebra .
The specific abilities required to perform the duties of the job satisfactorily include: establishing and maintaining constructive relationships; motivate, coach and empower adult learners; communicate with various groups; maintain confidentiality; and work as a team.
Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree desired
Please send your resume to [email protected] .