A trailer technician repairs and maintains fleet trailers. Responsible for verifying all repairs and maintaining compliance with DOT and FMCSA safety standards. The position requires occasional service calls to get to an equipment failure. 40 hour work week, subject to overtime, including weekends and holidays.
To perform this job successfully, a person must be able to perform each essential task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and / or abilities required.
1. Regular and rapid attendance is required. Must provide own transportation to and from work.
2. Inspect and perform immediate and preventative maintenance repairs on all trailers and various shop equipment.
3. Work with other mechanics to diagnose necessary repairs, reporting to the maintenance manager to authorize necessary repairs.
4. Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe work area.
5. Complete training in CPR, first aid and defibrillator use. This position will be considered as a first aid worker.
6. Light truck mechanic work may be required.
7. May be required to occasionally drive a forklift
7. Weekend rotation on call is required.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
1. Certification or associate’s degree from a college or technical school or equivalent on work experience in trailer mechanics.
2. The ability to inspect and maintain the fleet in accordance with company, federal and industry standards. Must have a good knowledge of FMCSA and DOT requirements for trailers. Working knowledge of OSHA regulations and standards
3. Trailer mechanics must provide their own tools.
NECESSARY ATTITUDES AND PERSONAL QUALITIES
1. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, use and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
2. Ability to calculate numbers and amounts such as discounts, proportions and percentages.
3. Ability to apply common sense / comprehension in carrying out instructions given in written, oral or diagrammatic form.
4. Preferred welding certification
5. Must complete all safety training
Other skills and abilities
Must be able to operate the following equipment: measuring instruments (micrometers, tape measures, dial compasses) Precision machines (drills and punch presses, bench lathes), hand tools (drills, wrenches, grinders), equipment handling (forklifts, cranes and overhead hoists).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential functions.
In performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to
1. Sit down; use the hand to touch, manipulate or touch; reach with hands and arms and speak or hear.
2. The employee must stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
3. The employee must regularly lift and / or move up to 50 pounds.
4. Specific vision abilities required by this job include near vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
5. The employee is required to lift heavy parts and tools, handle greasy and dirty parts, and stand or lie in awkward positions to repair vehicles and equipment.
6. Must be willing and able to work at heights greater than four feet.
When working in the trailer area, the ground may be slippery due to grease or water. Therefore, slips, trips and falls are possible. Working from ladders can put the employee at risk of falling. Sometimes the working environment is subject to extreme hot and cold temperatures. Occasionally, employees may be exposed to chemical or electrical hazards as well as fire hazards. Working conditions are generally in the workshop environment, but occasional outdoor work is required.
Cowen Truck Line provides uniforms, lockers and showers.
We provide our employees with excellent compensation and benefits including 401 (k), 401 (k), dental insurance, disability insurance, employee assistance program, health insurance, health savings account, life insurance, time off paid, vision insurance and premiums.
All applicants can apply here: https://www.cowentruckline.com/jobs/trailer-technician