THE SCHOOL: Future Education Academy
DEPARTMENT: Education Development Unit (EDU)
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Education/School Development
POSITION TITLE : Educational Developer
LOCATION: Suzhou Campus
POSITION OPENING DATE: 26and From April. 2022
CLOSING DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: 31st of July. 2022 (early submission of applications is encouraged)
JOB ID: 1673
TYPE OF CONTRACT : Full time ☒ Part time ☐
Fixed-term contract / 3 years, renewable. The 3rd contract is for an indefinite period.
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint venture university in China to offer both in the UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese accredited undergraduate degrees (Department of Education) for over 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-oriented and has made significant investments in research development and increasing the number of masters and doctoral students on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1,000 academic staff representing over 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The general mandate of the Instructional Developer position is to support the implementation of learning and teaching in XJTLU. This is mainly achieved through the delivery of institutional academic development programs; primarily, the PGCert program and other continuing professional development (CPD) programs. Other areas of support include providing assistance and advice on peer review, curriculum design and assessment, and working with departments to develop strategies, events or specific learning and teaching activities. Where appropriate, the Instructional Developer will conduct research on teaching and learning, develop instructional resources, and lead workshops and other events for faculty, students, and staff.
Supporting the teaching and learning practices of XJTLU staff is the primary responsibility and this position is only open as a teaching and practice position, not a teaching and research position.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Support the institution-wide implementation of the University’s vision for learning and teaching.
- Delivery of modules on the PGCert program.
- Support the development of an institutional CPD framework and prepare relevant documentation for approval by the respective committees of XJTLU and the University of Liverpool, as well as accreditation by the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- To provide expert and specialist advice and guidance to academic staff in the development of teaching excellence with a primary view of enhancing the learning experience of students at XJTLU.
- Develop collaborative networks to identify and disseminate good teaching and learning practices and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Recommend, lead and facilitate the effective sharing of best practices in assessments and other student assessments.
- Act as a consultant/coach to academic staff seeking to improve the quality of their teaching.
- Maintain and develop resources, including websites and other tools that facilitate national and international good practice in learning and teaching.
- Work closely with staff from other professional services to promote the use of appropriate technologies, facilities and methods in learning and teaching.
- Work collaboratively with departments, schools and centres, to contribute to the achievement of the University’s strategic ambitions for academic improvement and excellence in learning, teaching and research, and to contribute to the achievement of the University’s ongoing operational objectives.
- Keep abreast of changes and developments in related policies and procedures.
- Reflect on personal professional practice and stay abreast of current developments in learning and teaching through engagement with the wider community via subject associations, participation and presentations at conferences, conferences and personal development days.
- Willing to engage in personal development and training and change the focus of the role as needed to meet the changing needs of the University.
- Engage with university and departmental committees, task forces, and relevant forums to raise awareness of pedagogical principles, share examples of best practice, and highlight developments in the field.
- Perform any other task as needed, related to the position.
- A collaborative and collegial spirit.
- A flexible approach to work and agile problem-solving abilities.
- Proactivity and ability to work independently and also in a team.
- A commitment to lifelong learning and development.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in post-secondary education and 3 years of experience in instructional development.
- Excellent knowledge of current theories and practices in education, particularly as they relate to post-secondary teaching and learning (e.g. student-centered active learning, large classes, small groups, team learning, blended learning and online, flipped classrooms, transnational education, etc.), and the development of education.
- The ability to create and deliver programs (stand-alone or integrated informal and formal activities) for educational development.
- Collegiality and willingness to work with others.
- The ability to lead and collaborate effectively in cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams, multi-task, and prioritize and meet deadlines with minimal direction.
- Knowledge and experience of quality assurance processes, including professional body accreditation requirements, and understanding of quality improvement approaches.
- Strong computer skills, including a high degree of fluency with the use of all Microsoft applications and the use of Web 2.0 technologies for educational purposes using a VLE (Moodle preferred).
- A Masters in Education or related field, PhD in Education, EdD or related field preferred.
Academic staff members are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel and education of children, medical insurance and a one-time relocation allowance. Staff abroad may benefit from a “tax holiday” depending on their nationality and personal situation.
Annual base salary scale (gross):
- Lecturer in practice: 280K RMB-320K RMB
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese labor laws and must comply with provincial government regulations. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with respect to obtaining work permits and visas.
Please submit your application online. Applications should be submitted in a single pdf file consisting of 3 parts in the following order:
- A cover letter
- An up-to-date CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship and highest level of education
- Contact details of three references
Applications must be received by the closing date indicated above.