“We are seeing an emphasis on bringing DH methods into the classroom as well as an increase in DH certificates and minors who focus on data analysis and storytelling using a variety of tools,” said Seth Cayley, vice president of global academic product at Gale. “With a robust learning center that provides educational materials and sample projects, these new enhancements introduce a more unified research experience across Gale Digital Scholar Labincreasing user confidence and faculty engagement that supports undergraduate and graduate research and teaching.”
Updates from Gale Digital Scholar Lab include:
- New user interface: the look and feel allows for a consistent experience with Gale Primary Sources and aligns with WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines.
- Extensive search capabilities: updated search options aligned with Gale primary sources, including an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) confidence filter, which helps create more targeted sets of content for analysis.
- Improved layouts for creation, cleanup and analysis workflow: provides more interactivity in visualizations, allowing better exploration of a topic.
- Redesigned analysis tools:
- Analytics Dashboard: provides researchers with an overview of their work. Users can see the most recent runs of each tool and start new scan tasks with fewer scrolls and clicks.
- Improved user experience: saves time with a consistent and streamlined user experience across the tool ecosystem, including setting up and running new scans within each tool.
- Inspect the panels: each tool allows users to move seamlessly from distance to close reading, from viewing a set of content to inspecting at the individual document level, encouraging deeper interaction with texts
- Updated Learning Center: updated content and multimedia, as well as examples of redesigned projects to promote the development of digital literacy.
- Shibboleth Authentication: allows users to log in using their university credentials for a streamlined experience.
Gale Digital Scholar Lab is a cloud-based research environment designed to transform the way researchers and students access and analyze Gale’s primary sources – and their local collections – by offering solutions to some of the most common challenges faced by researchers in digital humanities today. By integrating unparalleled depth and breadth of digital primary source material with some of today’s most popular tools for digital humanities analysis and visualization, Gale Digital Scholar Lab offers a new perspective for exploring history and allows scholars to deepen their understanding of the world and how it is depicted in print.
Gale is exhibiting at the LibLearnX virtual conference, January 21-24, 2022. Participants can find out more about Gale Digital Scholar Lab enhancements to Gale’s virtual kiosk.
For more information or to request a trial, visit Gale Digital Scholar Lab Web page.
About Cengage and Gale
Cengage Group, an educational technology company serving millions of learners in 165 countries, is advancing the way students learn through quality digital experiences. The company currently serves the K-12, higher education, professional, library, English language education and workforce training markets worldwide. Gale, part of the Cengage Group, provides libraries with original, curated content and the modern research tools and technologies that are essential for connecting libraries to learning and learners to libraries. For more than 65 years, Gale has partnered with libraries around the world to foster the discovery of knowledge and ideas – where, when and how people need it. Gale has 500 employees worldwide with its main operations in Farmington Hills, Michigan. For more information, visit www.gale.com.
Follow Gale on:
Kayla SiefkerGale, part of the Cengage group
SOURCE Gale, a subsidiary of the Cengage group