Location: Ebute-Metta, Lagos
Number of subordinates: none
Reports to: Assistant Principal
Summary of work
- Effectively deliver swimming lessons and individual experiences across the range of abilities and ages within the school.
- To record and maintain student information.
- Communicate with all parties involved in the student’s education.
- Implement agreed school policies and guidelines
- Teach swimming skills, stroke techniques and water safety rules to students with varying swimming abilities.
- Help more experienced swimmers improve their swimming skills.
- Provide an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of students.
- Set clear goals, based on prior learning, for student learning
- Provide a stimulating learning environment, where resources are appropriately accessible to all students
- Maintain appropriate and effective records, integrating formative and summative assessment into weekly and quarterly planning
- Report to parents on the evolution, progress and achievements of the student behavior policy
- Ensure prompt and regular attendance of students.
- Establish and enforce rules of conduct; monitor students at the pool.
- Demonstrate the skills taught and help students perform those skills.
- Promote club activities
- Organize and promote participation in galas/swimming competitions.
- Collaborate with the physical education teacher to organize inter-house sports competitions
- Prepare strong teams for competitions and earn laurels
- Assess student skills, behavior and performance on an ongoing basis and maintain records of individual student achievement.
- Plan and implement swimming lessons that take into account student abilities and provide appropriate learning experiences for the progressive development of each student.
- Teach students the basics of swimming individually and in groups.
- Provide explanations and demonstrate swimming techniques
- Identify incorrect swimming techniques, correct students accordingly, and evaluate ways to improve performance
- Ensure that the swimming pool and its surroundings are clean and tidy.
- Assess student progress and adapt teaching programs accordingly.
- Teach safety rules, implement basic rules related to each activity and supervise students to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Maintain health and safety requirements in the pool area.
- Keep records of individual progress and maintain appropriate records.
- Conduct special coaching programs during school holidays.
- Manage the use and maintenance of all equipment and materials used in the pool area.
- Responsible for students and direct/volunteer staff in all areas of the pool.
- Seek professional development in all areas affecting effectiveness as a swimming coach.
- Actively promote the agreed goals and vision of the school.
- Communicate and interact with students, parents, staff and community as needed.
- Communicate and cooperate with specialists from external agencies
- Maintain student grading and maintain appropriate and effective records, integrating formative and summative assessment into weekly and quarterly planning.
- Provide emergency response and administer first aid as needed.
- Undertake specific tasks at entire school functions and events that may be considered part of the duties of this position.
- Always dress neatly and respect the name of the school
- Be aware of and follow all school policies
- Undertake tasks which can reasonably be considered to fall within the nature of the duties of the position. Any changes of a permanent nature should be incorporated into the job description in specific terms.
- Any other duties as directed by the school principal.
- Bachelor of Physical Education.
- Licensed teacher, Lifeguard training including certification in first aid and CPR.
- Experience required
- Minimum of 4 years of experience as a swimming instructor/coach.
Technical skills :
- Child pedagogy
- Knowledge of swimming rules and regulations
- Hygiene and safety procedure in the swimming pool
- Deep and surface diving
- Class management
- Curriculum building
- Training and/or sports experience
- Proficiency in the MS Office suite
- Student assessment
- computer scientist.
- Attention to detail
- Passionate about teaching children
- Organisational skills
- communication skills
- Personal skills
- Time management skills.
Click here to apply