Department: Department of Geography – Faculty of Sciences
Deadline: 10 dec. 2022
Start date: 1.2.2023 or negotiable regarding immigration deadlines for non-EU applicants
Type of employment: full time
Working area: Science and research | Education and schooling
Dean of Masaryk University Faculty of Science announces open competition for position Lecturer in Earth Observation and Remote Sensing
Workplace: Department of Geography, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with one-year contract (with possibility of extension), academic
Business hours: 1 FTE (full-time job of 40 hours per week)
Expected start date: 1.2.2023 or negotiable regarding immigration deadlines for non-EU applicants
Number of open positions: 1
Registration deadline: 10.12.2022
About the workplace
Masaryk University is modern, dynamic and the most attractive university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 6,000 staff members and 30,000 students, a wide range of research fields and a strong international position. We are the largest university employer in the South Moravia region.
FFaculty of Sciences MU, a holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering academic training (Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate programmes) closely linked to both primary and applied research and secondary education in the following sciences: mathematics, physics , Chemistry, Biology, and Earth Sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit at Masaryk University, generating approximately 40% of UM’s research output.
The Department of Geography at the Faculty of Science of MU is the second largest geography department in the Czech Republic. The department conducts multidisciplinary scientific research and teaching activities in the interrelated fields of human geography, physical geography, geoinformatics and geographical cartography. Institute of Geography staff are involved in a number of research projects and grant programs, as well as a wide range of application projects.
- Teach and mentor students in Czech and English in advanced courses with a focus on remote sensing
- UAV and satellite Earth observation research activities and development of downstream systems and services for the benefit of the environment and society
Skills and Qualifications
- Ph.D. degree in a relevant field such as Remote Sensing/Earth Science, Mathematical Science, Geography/GIS
- Publication activity adapted to the teaching and research position and the length of professional experience
- A good understanding of optical and SAR remote sensing principles
- Proven skills in scientific and technical writing, problem solving and independent work
- Good command of Czech and English (written and spoken)
- Experience in carrying out research or application projects
- Ability to participate in activities related to the day-to-day running of the department
The applicant must have:
- Scientific coding skills, preferably in Python, R and strong digital dataset management skills
- Skills in processing satellite images, for example, using gdal, SNAP, Google Earth Engine, ENVI
- Experience with machine learning, especially for image analysis
- GIS experience and data visualization (QGIS, ArcGIS Pro, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience and active knowledge of working with UAVs – planning and implementing data collection, data processing and evaluation, and presenting results in selected application areas
Informal job inquiries can be sent to prof. RNDr. Petr Kubíček, CSc., e-mail [email protected], phone 549491491.
- An interesting job in a growing university sector
- Opportunity to participate in the activities of an established research group in environmental geoinformatics. We offer the possibility to create your own research group in cooperation with the Czech Globe Institute
- Flexible work hours and occasional home office to accommodate personal needs for family and work compatibility
- Social benefits such as 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, contribution to pension insurance, financial allowance for meals, lunches in MU canteens, a multisport card, free vaccinations, language courses at reduced prices , a university cinema discount, an exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, group-Campus childcare
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city
The request must be submitted online before December 10, 2022 via an e-application, please find the reference to the electronic application at the beginning and at the end of the announcement.
The candidate will need to provide the following:
- Motivation letter outlining the candidate’s research priorities
- Summary of research results and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references
After successfully submitting your application, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Applications received will be carefully reviewed in accordance with the principles of the european charter and the researcher’s code. Selection criteria: (i) meet the qualification requirements described above, (ii) provide all required documents.
If we do not contact you no later than 10 working days after the application deadline, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates who meet the requirements of the position.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be viewed here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our career page.
We look forward to hearing from you!