- Full time
- Fixed-term research position for 18 months from start
- Located at our campus in La Trobe, Melbourne (Bundoora)
- [Level B] – $115,256 – $136,108 per year, including 17% retirement pension
About the job
The position will be responsible for undertaking research to integrate remote sensing data products with empirical ecological data. The research involves combining modeling and empirical approaches to improve the prediction and mapping of natural capital assets on farms.
The successful candidate will bring their advanced expertise in data processing and modeling to explore the relationships between remote sensing data products and field ecological data. Working closely with project ecologists, the position will provide critical expertise in translating remote sensing data and digital imagery to extract ecological meaning. The position will also contribute to the development and validation of biodiversity and natural capital indices, building on their knowledge of environmental processes and assessments.
Skills and experience
To be considered for this position, you will need to.
- Have a PhD or equivalent qualifications or research experience.
- Advanced expertise in statistical modeling, including experience with machine learning and Bayesian approaches, including the use of R and Python.
- Evidence of strong data science skills, with experience in the use and interpretation of remote sensing data products.
- Proven ability to manage, integrate, analyze, model and interpret terrestrial and remotely sensed environmental data.
- Expertise in the interpretation and analysis of complex data for presentation to industry and the scientific community.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and monitor workflows within own area of responsibility.
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills and a record of publications, conference papers and/or reports, or professional or technical contributions to peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in a cooperative and collegial manner.
- Demonstrated high level of personal motivation and personal management skills.
Please refer to the job description for other duties, skills and experience required for this position.
The success of La Trobe University is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly driven, pursuing new ideas and creating knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s leading research providers and Greater Victoria’s largest provider of higher education. Our teaching and research address some of the most important issues of our time and we are passionate about driving change through operational excellence for the benefit of the communities we serve.
Welcome to Bundoora Campus – Please click on the video link below:
- 17% of the employer contributed to the retirement pension
- Daycare on site
- flexible working arrangements
- discounts for staff and their family members to study a range of La Trobe courses
How to register
Closing Date: 11 p.m. Sunday July 3, 2022
Job requests: Jim Radford, [email protected]
Recruitment requests: [email protected]
Only applicants with Full working rights in Australia can apply for this position.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements
That of the University Health and safety procedure – COVID-19 vaccination and other measures, requires that personnel hired to perform on-site work at La Trobe University be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless exempt from vaccination due to a recognized medical contraindication. This position will require the incumbent to work on-site. As such, an offer of employment will be conditional on the candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt from receiving a COVID-19 vaccine, and providing satisfactory proof of their vaccination or exempt status. at University.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- A separate document addressing the “Skills and Experience” points in the key selection criteria which can be found in the job description; and
- An up-to-date CV.
Please scroll down to apply.
Why La Trobe:
- Develop your career at an innovative global university where you’ll collaborate with community and industry to create impact.
- Enjoy working at our inspiring and stunning campuses – the ideal hub for industry, students and academics
- Help transform the lives of students, partners, and communities now and in the future
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you pass, you will need to hold a valid Victorian employee check working with children before starting..