We are a JSE listed company seeking a Systems Analyst to plan and control IT system analysis and development for assigned area; serve as a project manager on major projects; consulting and advising the user services; assess user requests and needs, estimate cost and time of implementation and recommend program methodology to be followed, ensuring compliance of programming with established documentation standards; provide technical advice and recommendations regarding existing computer programs and systems.
Key performance areas
- Plan and control the analysis and development of the computer system for the assigned area; consulting and advising the user services; assess user requests and needs, estimate cost and time of implementation.
- Serve as project manager on major projects; assess project requirements and timelines; provide guidance and direction to assigned personnel and coordinate project phases.
- Participate in system studies in programming for various applications; recommend program methodology to be followed, ensure compliance of programming with established documentation standards.
- Analyze issues raised by users and potential users of IT; study existing systems and procedures and the introduction of potential data processing systems.
- Develop detailed data flow charts of the existing system, documenting the work process according to installation standards; assist in the development of system goals and comprehensive plans to organize work methodology; establish controls to ensure the desired output in new and changed applications.
- Assist department staff by advising them on application development and the best system design approach in relation to software capabilities and hardware features; review or determine nominations and requirements, as required.
- Provide technical support, assistance and information to users; train users in system operations if necessary; coordinate communication and activities with users to review and analyze user issues and needs; provide work direction to assigned programmers.
- Compile information and data and prepare various reports related to IT systems and functions; document system software and hardware as required.
- Perform other assigned duties.
- Maintain regular attendance.
Knowledge and skills
- Advanced principles and techniques of systems analysis, design and programming.
- Advanced principles of internal system maintenance.
- Analysis of project coordination needs.
- District database structures, online applications and system capabilities.
- Design of telecommunications databases.
- Programming languages such as COBOL and task control language concepts.
- Principles and concepts involved in computer programming and maintenance.
- Structured programming practices and techniques.
- Documentation on the programming and operation of the computer.
- Interpersonal skills demonstrating tact, patience and courtesy.
- Technical aspects of the specialty area.
- Coordinate, supervise, analyze and maintain computer systems.
- Lead and coordinate major analysis and programming projects.
- Provide technical advice and recommendations regarding existing computer programs and systems.
- Apply computer programming principles and techniques to specific problems and processes.
- Research, analyze and recommend new system software and hardware.
- Write or modify programs to meet user needs.
- Code the data in machine language.
- Initiate procedural changes.
- Demonstrate proficiency in appropriate program languages.
- Anticipate system space capacity needs.
- Provide assistance to other data processing personnel regarding technical issues.
Minimum requirements: (qualifications and experience)
- 12th grade
- Certificate/diploma in Computer and Information Science or relevant
- 2-5 years of experience in systems design and programming
- 2-5 years of experience using statistical and analytical programs
Thursday, August 11, 2022 (Closing date).
Desired work experience:
Desired level of qualification:
Find out more/Apply to this position