Duties and functions

VBU: Registrar quits after 84 hours, students continue to protest

After being harassed for 84 hours by a section of protesting students, Visva Bharati University (VBU) Registrar Asish Agarwal left his office on campus late Thursday evening in the presence of police officers.
The development came after the High Court in Kolkata on Thursday ordered police to ensure that the Registrar, Deputy Registrar and university management are not prevented from carrying out their daily duties or move freely on and off the university campus.

A university official said local police officers left campus after the registrar left his office and moved into his official residence.

Students, meanwhile, continued their protest on campus for more than 96 hours to demand the reopening of hostels and the holding of online exams. A student leader said their protest, which began at 11 a.m. on March 1, will continue indefinitely until their demands are met. The protesting students also demanded that the next semester exams be held online for both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as classes had been held online for two years.

The university official said the executive board will consider their requests urgently and make an appropriate decision. The High Court on Thursday extended police protection to the Registrar, Deputy Registrar and university management to ensure they carry out their daily duties inside the campus without any obstruction on their part. restless students.

The court ruling came after the university filed an instant motion before Judge Rajasekhar Mantha alleging that the agitated students were disrupting the normal functioning of the institute. Ordering the students not to impede the management in any way, the court in its order said, “In this light, the Officer in Charge, Santiniketan Police Station and SP, Birbhum shall ensure and take all necessary measures so that the Registrar, the Deputy Registrar and the management of the University are not in any way prevented from carrying out their daily functions or from moving freely within the University campus and outside it. This court also orders the students of the university not to interfere with the management in any way and to ensure that the above-mentioned order is complied with. The next hearing in this case is scheduled for March 17.

Protesting students had confined the clerk and other senior officials last Sunday. The clerk was not even allowed out of his office as the students staged a sit-in.